background

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Vacation

I am on vacation with my family! Saturday we drove for about 12 hours from Elgin, IL to Utica, NY. Ouch! Today was a lot more interesting however. We got up and drove some more to Amhurst, MA so that we could visit the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art. It was a blast!
This awesome very Hungry Caterpillar VW beetle was parked out in front.




The inside of the building was so nice. It has an auditorium, studio, library, gift shop, cafe, and two galleries. Outside it is surrounded by patios and apple trees. Aside from an extensive collection of work by Eric Carle, their two current special exhibits are Pat the Bunny, and the work of Arnold Lobel. I am pretty sure my mother loves pat the bunny more than anyone out there, so she was very very happy.
The galleries were nice and quiet when we first went in, probably because we were alone, I could handle the little kids chattering away to each other about the artwork, and even the elderly woman asking lot of questions and repeating herself over and over, but I was NOT ok with the screaming child being (ignored by his parents), or the very rude man TALKING ON HIS CELL PHONE! I just moved on to another part of the museum and went back when they had left.
Overall, it was so much fun!

We got to make our own artwork in the studio,



and eat Caterpillar Cookies in the Cafe.



I now have a much greater appreciation for Eric Carle. What a guy...



(The Go-Go's)

No comments: