background

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Picture of Success

Now that I have my own kitchen, I have been on the lookout for a good cake tin so that I can make my cinnamon applesauce cake. Since they cost about $13 for a cheaply made new one, I have been looking to the thrift store in hopes of a sturdy and less expensive one. Sadly I have not been fortunate enough to find one, until this week. I found this amazing one at our local thrift store - perfect shape, thick and sturdy metal, and my heart lept! Then I realized there was no price on it and became instantly horrified. See, the policy at this thrift store is that if it has no price it has to be put in a bin for re-pricing, and they refuse to sell it to you. However, I was so determined that I took it up to the counter with the rest of my purchases (which I will tell you more about later) and prepared to plead with them to sell it to me. Sure enough, the cashier kept repeating through her thick Hispanic accent "no price, no for sale." Oh but I fought for it, and she called another person over to the register who asked me "Do you really need this?" to which I replied, "Yes! I have been here several times looking for one of these and you finally have one!"

They sold it to me for $1.21

Success! I guess it pays to be persistent.

So, back to the rest of my purchase. As many of you know I have been trying to get my hands on some more cassette tapes recently for a large order I am currently working on. Well, a couple of weeks ago at that same thrift store I hit the jackpot! Somebody donated DOZENS of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker performed by the London Symphony orchestra, still in the shrink wrap. I bought 15 the first time, and went back for 13 more when I bought the cake tin. I looked like such a goofball buying all those cassettes and begging for a cake tin! The first time was possibly even more silly, because I also bought several toy trucks (to make prints with the tires.)




I can promise you that those cassettes will not go to waste. I am sure you will be seeing them on here again because I have a plan for them. Of course, since I do really love the Nutcracker, at least one of them will certainly be used for my listening enjoyment.

(Rilo Kiley)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are too funny. I'm so glad you found a bundt pan! It looks like a nice one too - - High job!